Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Strictly Cassette - DJ Lord Ron Interview






Tapemasta: Now you'll get to see what's really happening around the world & the fun part is that i really know DJ Lord Ron & he's still a REAL mixtape collector like myself..brand new blogs isn't going to be able to keep up, i told you before we was doing all this for a long time !! Happy New Year !! See you at 11 !! The REAL MIXTAPES IS BACK !!! Respect to the god for doing this interview & letting people see his collection..http://www.djlordron.biz/ is the website for Lord Ron...

Strictly Cassette catches up with DJ Lord Ron to chop it up with him about his tape collection and some of the spots he used to cop joints from. You'll be impressed to see all the original dubbed recordings from the Golden Era.


(SC) What was your first tape?
Back in the day (Los Angeles), the mid 1970's I was always recording cassette joints off the radio on an A.M. dial which was K.G.F.J. and then it became 1580 K-Day which was more hip hop/r & b driven as opposed to K.G.F.J. whose format was straight up soul, r & b and disco music. Cassettes came on the scene hard around in the early 70's because the 8-Track tape was the thing besides vinyl and reel to reel tape decks.

My 1st tape re hip hop. I went out and bought RUN-DMC's "King Of Rock" tape at Village records. Village records was located at University Village, a shopping center with a movie theatre and food joints etc., which is owned by USC here in Los Angeles.

(SC) Do you still have your old tape collection?
I wish I did have my whole tape collection but sometimes in life, we take things for granted instead of preserving. I still have a nice collection though & if I come across certain tapes now. I will snatch it up and add to my collection.

(SC) Best music store to purchase tapes (old & new)
My brother Erik and I had been runnin' the streets hittin corners all day hustlin' these ladies Nike sweatsuits that were made of Velour material. We stopped by his crib on 106th and San Pedro, the east side. He's checkin his biz and I turn the TV on and start flippin' through channels. I come across Chris Thomas, the mayor of Rap City & I've always liked Rap City better than YO MTV Raps cause BET's Rap City showed more of the raw underground artists who were not gettin' day light on YO MTV Raps.

Anyway, this video comes on and it has this dope DJ scratchin' with precision and the track has a jazzy element but dope ass bass line with drums hittin' with horns comin in and out of the track. By then, my brother Erik comes downstairs and we are locked into the groove and video visuals.

Then the rapper's voice is monotone & he's wearing black leather with a kufi on his head & I'm seeing the young F.O.I. from the Nation Of Islam in step like an army yo. This rapper was sayin something that I could relate to cause my brother Erik & I were becoming more aware of our Black heritage and hip hop was doing that at that time. Me and Erik were hittin' up Temple # 27 on Western and 45th St buyin books, products and eating plenty of fish from their store joint which was across the street from the Temple.

That was Gang Starr's "Positivity" video. I told my brother Erik, let's hit up the Slauson Swap Meet cause I wanna find that tape and buy it. The swap meet vendor who was selling records and tapes had one left and I bought that tape.

Popped it opened and that was Erik's & I soundtrack for the rest of that year yo cause me and my brother was hustlin these women's clothes and other things.

We would ride to that Gang Starr album "No More Mister Nice Guy" all day without gettin tired of it. I still have that tape to this day. Peace and rest to Guru.

(SC) What do you think lies in the future for tape collecting?
Big up to all who have the mind state of preserving history re the cassette tape. I don't see a big surge happening in the now or the future. Technology comes and goes with newer gadgets. I truly think it will be just a small group of people who have a passion for collecting. It will be a small but powerful market cause of the internet & that's good enough. Nothin wrong with a small boutique shop. That means it's real straight up and down. Organic.

2 comments:

  1. i dug the interview. i wasnt fortunate enough to grow up in the city. i lived upstate ny. naturally tapes made there way up here just like the red aslert/marley marl and the mixtapes. alot of the time i was purchasing thru tapekingz from the source magazine ads. i was buggin when i saw the crooklyn cuts cassettes since ive only ever owned them on cd/mp3. nothing will ever be like a walkman with auto reverse, and no technology will ever duplicate the feel of sittin around with your crew waitin for the rap show to come on with your hands on the record and on pause when the commercials came on. thank God the college radio staions werent scared to pump that real shit. even though it meant you'd be up at 2/3 in the morning recording. thanx for sharing the knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly..that's what real hip hop is about now people is going to see whether they understand or not !!

    ReplyDelete